Sunday, September 18, 2011

I Didn't Really Disappear Off the Face of the Earth

Since I haven't been able to post anything for several days, I thought I should let you know I'm still alive and kicking, well alive anyway. Alive and coughing. I have bronchitis and I'm barking like a lonesome dog. Feel better today but I still could sing bass in the church choir down the road.

It finally stopped raining and dried up a bit around here so Dave and I have been trying to catch up with yard work again. Yesterday I rested while he worked but today I'll get back out there for a while. I still can't mow all the yard because it's too wet where the pond overflowed, but I can get it looking much better.

The leaves are turning here already. Hard to believe in a month we'll have the peak of foliage season here. I remember when we used to go to dirt track auto races, at one track the announcer insisted on talking about the fall "foilyage" spectacular race. He's probably still calling it that but we stopped going to the races thanks to my lungs. I'd be happy for Dave to go with a friend, but he lost interest.

In between coughing I've been reading an old book that had been sitting on my shelf for a long time, Ironweed by (can't remember his first name) Kennedy. Maybe I coughed my brain out? Anyway, I'm sticking with it, determined to finish, but I just can't see so far why it won a Pulitzer Prize. I don't think it's because I'm sick; it's just horribly depressing and so far doesn't go anywhere. I must be missing something.

I got my first Kindle book today so that will be next. It's Linda Gillard so I know it'll be good. Looking forward to that.

The newspaper today is full of pictures and personal stories from our flood. Many of the business people are ready to give up, but they're planning to reopen because of their employees. There just aren't enough jobs open for them to all find work. Some of those businesses were just drowned out five years ago, so I sure can't blame them for being too discouraged to rebuild. The bright side is the help they're getting. The communities involved have come together, including college students who are from places far away from here, to help people throw out what's unsalvageable, clean what is, and bring them food and water and cleaning supplies. When Mother Nature does a number on us, people shine.

I'll finish that book and then I'll be back to do a review, such as it is.

7 comments:

  1. Hope you feel better soon and can spend all your time in bed with the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I NEVER know why books win Pulitzer Prizes!

    Sorry about your cold, but glad you have leaf colors to enjoy. I have been trying to do repairs outside from a desert skunk raid (he or she having dug up the irrigation around the ENTIRE house), and I'm ready to move! Well, I was already ready to move.... Of course, I can't complain compared to people who have to clean up after the flood. I can't even **imagine** how discouraging it must be for them!

    Hope you are better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bronchitis?

    Lots of sympathy and hot tea (or whatever you feel like) from here. But are you sure you shouldn´t try a lighter book?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone for the sympathy. I'm up to tenor this morning; tomorrow who knows? Coughing less, thank heaven.

    The author of Ironweed is William Kennedy. You'd think I could have remembered a simple name like William.

    Jill, they dug up the ground all around the house? Wow, they must be little terrors. We had a porcupine on the patio yesterday but he was just passing through. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry about the coughing. Be careful. I knew someone who put her neck out by coughing too much. It seems to me that 'depressing' is what often wins the awards. Yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you're feeling better, Barbara. I always think coughs come with a silver lining - I love the sexy raspy sound of my voice for the two weeks afterward :) (I sound like a 12 year old normally, so that might be why it pleases me so much).

    I think "depressing and not going anywhere" could describe several literary award winning books ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bronchitis is the worst! I hope you're feeling better soon. I usually struggle with Pulitizer Prize winners.

    ReplyDelete