Thursday, November 24, 2011

I'm Thankful For . . .

First of all of course, I'm thankful for my husband every single day.

All you have to do is read a newspaper, watch the news on TV or online and you know simply the fact that I have a warm comfortable home in a peaceful, beautiful location puts me way ahead of probably the majority of people in the whole world. When I look at it that way, dusting and vacuuming don't really present such a chore.

For all the complaining I do about my COPD and arthritis, in general I'm in pretty good health for my age and I'm very grateful for that. I can do almost anything I want to do and the exceptions aren't really important.

Since I don't have family of my own, I'm thankful for Dave's family who I love like my own. His cousin in Rome, for instance, who sends me messages and pictures on FB or email. We are both quite opinionated about politics and have great discussions about Italian and U.S. politicians. The rest of his family is in Ireland and Maine, and we just got the happy news that there is another one on the way. The expectant parents will be excellent parents.

I'm thankful for my friends. I don't make friends easily and have few close friends but the ones I have are valued beyond saying. I'm also thankful for my book blogger friends. Only one of my local friends loves books as I do, so my book blogger friends fill that big hole. I learn from them, get support from them, and enjoy our discussions about the world of books.

The last thing I'll mention, though there are many more, is how thankful I am for memories. Dave and I have made wonderful memories through our 36 years together. Laughing at funny memories has gotten us through many a tough day, and remembering particularly sweet things he has done and said have gotten me through many a tough time.

I hope you have a long list of people and things to be thankful for too on this day when we take time to think about being thankful.

8 comments:

  1. We were thinking about poor people today too! Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have too many blessings to count (but one of them is you, Barbara). Life is good. It's all about perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new header is gorgeous - I assume it's your house - and I can see why you think it's a restful place to live.

    It sounds like you have much to be thankful for. It's nice to have a day out of the year to reflect on what's important to us, isn't it? I hope you and Dave had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And we your readers are thankful for you and your positive outlook. We are so grateful that you choose to share that View from the Countryside. It really helps us to feel part of the greater world community. I hope the rest of your Thanksgiving weekend continues to be a blessed one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Kathy, Jill, Cathy and Tina. I really need to take a new picture for the header. Since the auction, the old machines in front of Dave's shop are gone and everything looks neater.

    We had a nice pork roast for Thanksgiving dinner and watched football. Our weather this weekend is just about perfect, very warm for November. I appreciate all your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara....what a beautiful post; you do have much to be thankful for as do I.

    I love your new header --very serene.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now we don´t celebrate Thanksgiving, but I always enjoy it when people remember to be thankful for their spouse and their everyday life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this post Barbara. It's a wonderful reminder of how wealthy we are in so many ways. I'm also thankful for good blogging friends. It is so great to talk with other people who love good books.

    I also like your new header picture. I'm guessing that's your home. It does look so peaceful.

    ReplyDelete