Friday, October 14, 2011

Update on The Magnificent Medills

On September 2nd I reviewed a nonfiction book called The Magnificent Medills, a saga about one of the most important families in newspaper publishing. My only complaint at that time was that my ARC copy didn't have pictures.

Now HarperCollins Publishers has been kind enough to send me the published book, and lo and behold, there are pictures. We can see Joseph Medill, founder of The Chicago Tribune and major player in nominating Abraham Lincoln for the presidency. We have portraits of his two daughters, the "she-devils," as well. Kate was the mother of Col. Robert R. McCormick of the Tribune. Nellie Medill Patterson was a beautiful but difficult person.

One of the best photos is of Joseph with his four grandchildren who carried on his tradition of newspapers and politics. There are many others of which I was most interested in seeing the controversial Cissy Patterson.

With that major quibble taken away, I can wholeheartedly recommend this book by Megan McKinney.

2 comments:

  1. I think I've reviewed one non-fiction ARC, and that was the only one because I needed to see maps and photos. The book was about an expedition into the Amazon rainforest, and I just don't feel right about going into that place with no maps!

    It did teach me about reviewing non-fiction ARCs. Don't get me wrong, I would still review them-- as long as maps and photos weren't integral parts of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, Yikes! Into the Amazon rainforest without a map? I get your point about nonfiction ARC's, and I think I might be a little more selective in the future.

    ReplyDelete