Monday, February 15, 2010

Reading While Olympics not Available

Like Tina at Tutu's Two Cents blog, our local TV networks weren't on Sunday afternoon so Dave couldn't watch the Daytona 500 and I couldn't record the Olympics. So frustrating. Dave decided to go to work, and I was a little glad to finish my current read because I just had to know what happened.

I was reading ALL THE PRETTY HORSES by Cormac McCathy. I know, I know, it's an old book but I just never had the chance to read it. Since it's the first of a trilogy and I liked it, now I'll have to find the other two books.

At first I wasn't really into it; it isn't my kind of book and it was slow. I stuck with it though because of McCarthy's beautiful use of language. The descriptions of Texas and Mexico were dreamily evocative, I felt like I was there. And finally I became quite attached to the characters, especially the hero, John Grady Cole. He's probably too stoic for many readers but I'm used to such a person since my father was a stoic.

John Grady Cole and his friend Lacey Rawlins run away to Mexico when they are 17. Along the way a younger boy begins to tag along and gradually they start to feel responsible for him and even a kind of affection. Unfortunately the young boy's immature behavior causes all kinds of trouble for all three. The story has many stereotypical western plots and subplots and even the lone cowboy riding off into the sunset alone, but despite that, I fell in love with this book.

I noticed that Dick Francis has died. His last book will come out in late summer so we have one more Dick Francis mystery to look forward to. I reviewed EVEN MONEY co-written by his son Felix in this blog some time ago. I've been a fan for years but he was 89 years old and I felt like he had been a lost soul ever since his beloved wife died. May he rest in peace after a long, successful life.

And now, back to the Olympics . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment