Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Long Time No See

I should have known this would happen. I haven't posted anything here for a while and I could have predicted it. You see, it's bowl season which annually sees me glued to the tube for the duration. I love college football (basketball too so don't expect much during the Big Dance in March) and bowl games used to be manageable. There were only four back in the day; now there are 31! I don't watch all of them, but probably too many.

I'll also have a problem during the Olympics in February. Being a sports fan does have its drawbacks these days. We went to the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles and I'll never forget the feeling of family we fans had. We met people from all over the states, sometimes seeing them at several events - everyone seemed to feel like we were all good friends. We won't go to the Olympics again because the ticket situation has gotten out of hand, but I do enjoy watching on television.

The odd thing is that both my mother and my mother-in-law were huge sports fans, rabid actually, but my father and my father-in-law as well as my husband can sort of take sports or leave them. So, while I watch all these games, Dave gets plenty of sleep in front of the TV set. Occasionally he wakes up, asks who's winning or who's playing for that matter, and then settles in for another nap. Life of the party, my husband.

All of this means sports is dominating my life at the moment, but I'm not so far gone that I don't know about the new would-be terrorist with the makings of a bomb in his underwear. I think we should all be patient with screening at airports, but I don't really believe we can be safe from this type of person. We're all in danger all the time, from various threats, but we can't let fear rule our lives. All we can do is watch for danger but enjoy every moment of our lives because you never know how long your life will be.

Having said that, maybe a good New Year's Resolution would be to live life to the fullest and keep nagging worries out of our heads. Life is too short to just throw it away. Happy New Year to everyone. I'll be back in January.

No comments:

Post a Comment