Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Decision on Afghanistan

When I was a young child, my mom (and probably yours) always said I could be anything I wanted to be, even the president of the U.S. Well, thank heaven that didn't come true!

Unless you're a diehard hawk, wouldn't the decision about Afghanistan keep you up night after night and consume every waking minute? If you send more troops, or even if you don't, you've sent thousands of our young men and women into harm's way. What happens in that country in the future depends to a large extent on your decision.

I'm sure I couldn't handle that decision and many others the president must make. No matter what he decides, too, probably at least half of the American people and who knows how many in the world will be outraged. We should think about the load on his shoulders more often. Sure we have checks and balances, he isn't a dictator after all, but in the end he is the most powerful man in the world and what he does affects the entire world. What an unbelievable responsibility!

Regardless of who holds that office, I think we should all realize exactly what it is that turns a president's hair gray and ages him during his term of office, and thus be a bit more forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment